Weapons of Mass Destruction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clan WMD Forum: Member's Only | Owning noobs since 2007!

HomeSearchLatest imagesDonate today!RegisterLog in

Marines instead?

Go down 
+3
C_Darrow
venomousimmortal
Panther14
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Panther14

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Ive been kinda mulling over the whole army thing. At first i liked it because i was in the 'i want my feet on dry land' train of thought, but the other day i came to a conclusion. A lot of what the military seems to be about is doing what isnt comfortable, so why not. It also helps that one of the largest recruiting bases in the US is really close to where i live, and that they offer like a junior Physical Training thing that a friend of mine is in. Very excited. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
venomousimmortal
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
venomousimmortal

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing anything they want to do, obviously. I'm just thinking that as intelligent as you are you could do pretty well anything you put your mind to. What other non-military careers have you researched? What are your strengths (math, science, lit., etc?)

I think it's great to see enthusiasm for doing your service for your country, but I also think it could be a great plan B when you have so many other possibilities yet to consider.
Back to top Go down
http://clanwmd.tk/
C_Darrow
C_Darrow

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Also   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:47 pm

If you are not going to try and do career military (and remember, it is up or out, if you don't progress in ranks they kick you out), you should find something that you can apply to a future career after you are out.
Back to top Go down
jollieollie
jollieollie

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 1:19 am

I agree with Darrow. I worked on communication and navigation equipment while I was in the Navy. The FAA wanted to start me out at 65k a year but I wasn't up for the idea of relocation due to my wife doing nursing school. I decided to join the sheriff's department instead. But I will say that you should definately be careful with what you choose to do if you do decide to go military.
Back to top Go down
demolitionist
demolitionist

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 4:22 am

Panther you're a bright young man. I agree with V.. you'll have no problem accomplishing what you set your mind too. Now personally I have no idea what to expect yet and I can't offer any 1st hand experience advice. However, the Marines will pay for your education.. so why not. Even if you just do reserves, you still have your foot in the door. The only comment I can make is if it's what you really want to do.. don't wait. You don't want to say down the road I should have done it or I should have done it earlier.. nothing worse than living life with regrets.
Back to top Go down
venomousimmortal
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
venomousimmortal

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:48 am

demolitionist wrote:
Panther you're a bright young man. I agree with V.. you'll have no problem accomplishing what you set your mind too. Now personally I have no idea what to expect yet and I can't offer any 1st hand experience advice. However, the Marines will pay for your education.. so why not. Even if you just do reserves, you still have your foot in the door. The only comment I can make is if it's what you really want to do.. don't wait. You don't want to say down the road I should have done it or I should have done it earlier.. nothing worse than living life with regrets.

+1
Back to top Go down
http://clanwmd.tk/
Panther14

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 pm

http://www.newsroomamerica.com/story/220307/obama_budget_calls_for_sharp_increases_in_military_healthcare_premiums.html

And with this news, i now have something else to consider.

What i see in recent history really makes this a challenging decision for me. Its become popular among politicians to use the military as a political tool, like when they talk about bringing troops home and try to make themselves look like heroes for it. All this despite the fact that those soldiers obviously wanted to go serve, otherwise they wouldnt have volunteered for it. And Im pretty sure that they fail to mention that a lot of them cant even get jobs when they get back, and that the military was something that helped them put food on the table. And even more importantly than that is the fact that thousands of people have died trying to win this war, and now were supposed to pussy out and make their sacrifice meainingless. Its like Vietnam all over again.

Moreover, whenever there are cuts that need to be made, it always seems like the military is always on the top of the list. I think the idea was lost somewhere along the line that that money is paying for equipment and technology for the troops that could help save their lives. Imagine that. Exemplary men and women who have dedicated their lives to service, and this is what they have to work with. But oh no, that doesnt matter anymore. I would much rather see our tax dollars paying for things for captured ENEMY combatants in guantanamo bay: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/179504/guantanamo-bay-inmates-get-750k-soccer-field-forget-about-all-that-torture/. Wonder how they would feel if they ever found out that that $750,000 could have let even one man see his family again. Rolling Eyes

I have 4 years from right now until i have to make any kind of commitment, so i have another presidency to see through yet. Hopefully it is one that puts an end to this BS and starts showing a little respect.
Back to top Go down
Panther14

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Oh, and dont let me forget how its become an instrument of political correctness, as well. What, with the DADT repeal and the fight for women in the infantry and whatnot. (Nothing personal, girls. Smile )
Back to top Go down
C_Darrow
C_Darrow

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Yeah, Bush was pretty awful   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

I agree, it is ridiculous to have a war and not ask the very wealthy millionaires and billionaires who get the most benefit to contribute to the war effort (i.e. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, the war avoiders).

2001 was $19 billion for military healthcare. Now, this year it is is a proposed $52 billion and even after raising premiums because the GOP under Bush cut taxes on the rich so immensely and it didn't matter when the 99 percent could pay lots of taxes. We went from Clinton's surpluses to Obama inheriting such great debt and the great recession.

It is interesting to note that many GOP who claim to favor 'market' conditions will oppose setting these market limits to force people towards much cheaper generic drugs (which are both heavily subsidized) and make military healthcare less 'socialized.' Also, these new charges only apply to those who were not medically discharged or are survivors.

Nobody should enter the military with hopes to get rich, bad idea. It is the best career options for many, but notice that nobody whose parents have the cash to pay $100K or so for higher education will be with you in boot camp, unless they've been disowned.
Back to top Go down
llOdenll
llOdenll

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Hmmm. How to say this but not let it look like my nads haven't dropped yet....I hit 10 years this year as Army infantry. I welcome the women into the infantry. I welcome them to Army Ranger school. I have worked with Israeli special forces along with other country operations teams who have had women in their infantry ranks. Especially snipers. I would base nothing on the whole tweedle dee tweedle dum stuff of being openly gay in the military. Have you ever pissed a fruitcup off? He can be a violent sonofabitch. Plus we have been serving with them forever and you always know when you are in the military who is and who is not etc. Marine.....Panther. Hells yeah. If you want to be part of a brunt grunt rage. Which is needed in the US Military. The thing the enemies fear the most of America is a platoon of Marine grunts cause they bring a no shit attitude to a fight. It has been documented for US enemies to actually defecate themselves when Marines are on the way. Army...Well a little more educated. I'd like to think. We actually have a manual that Marrine recon tries to follow. Marines are trained to get a target and go. Army are trained to get a target and how to supress the target and get to the target as pretty as we can. Tutu discluded. In each branch there will be a job you do. i.e. infantry and human resources just as examples....in the Marines is does not matter what the hell you do, cause your gonna carry that damn boom boom stick and carry that boom boom stick doing an infantry job regardless if you are a toilet seat warmer or what not.... In the Army, if you are a human resources geek or a toilet seat warmer, your going to be sitting on that toilet keeping it warm for the real men driving towards the enemy with wankers erect. Every branch has it's different mission. I have had the honor of working with great Marines as well as great Army Infantrymen. I wouldn't pick one or the other. If I were you, I would go Army. I would become an Infantry officer. If you do that or anything in the military always remember to listen to your NCO. Respect him or her. Chin up or else those unicorn cheddars will hit your chest. flower
Back to top Go down
C_Darrow
C_Darrow

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Nice   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Good advice Ninja.
Back to top Go down
Hibby-_-
Founder
Founder

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 2:32 pm

jollieollie wrote:
I agree with Darrow. I worked on communication and navigation equipment while I was in the Navy. The FAA wanted to start me out at 65k a year but I wasn't up for the idea of relocation due to my wife doing nursing school. I decided to join the sheriff's department instead. But I will say that you should definately be careful with what you choose to do if you do decide to go military.

Were you in Interior Communications by any chance? Because I'm leaving for basic training in about a month and that's the field I'm getting into.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marines instead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marines instead?   Marines instead? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marines instead?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Weapons of Mass Destruction :: Mess Hall-
Jump to: